Thursday, July 16, 2009

Discipline & Day One

“Never smile until Christmas.”
“Shock and awe.”
“Be Clint Eastwood.”

All of these were suggested to me upon entering my first year of teaching, what was the purpose of these suggestions? Letting me know how to handle the first day of the school year for my first year of teaching. Luckily, before my first day, I sent a letter of help to one of my former professors asking him for advice. I do agree that the way we handle our first few weeks in the classroom determines much of how the rest of the year will turn out, but there’s got to be a smarter way to handle it. So, taking what I learned from my professor and my very own first day of school, I think the following is a bit more useful.

I believe that many discipline problems a teacher faces throughout the year can be traced back to the relationship that was begun at the very beginning of the school year. If you handle your first day like the quotes above, the relationship between you and your student will become confrontational rather than collaborative. Dr. Ronald Butchart once told me, “when a teacher dominates his/her classroom, this is a form of oppression”, and I think that’s definitely true. When you dominate, what else is left for the kids to do but resist? And when this oppressor-resistor relationship becomes cemented, you are in it for the long haul.

So, how should the beginning of the school year be handled? This is what I have learned from my limited experience and with the help of those who have taught me.

First off, your classroom must be set up in a way that celebrates collaboration not domination. That means working with your students to develop the type of classroom environment that you want, not telling them how it’s going to be. Domination doesn’t get you respect, you gain respect by respecting your students. It may be different in other classes, but since I teach social studies, the beginning of the year was a good time to talk about oppression, resistance, and other topics like that. Take your students’ suggestions, have a sense of humor, of course there is going to be the kid who says “we should watch movies”. That is the fun of it. One cool thing to do is to have each of your classes create their own classroom "Constitution".

Also, I think it is extremely useful to get students talking about and critiquing the ways that they have been taught in the past. Ask them, in my case: WHY do students hate studying history? What makes classrooms dull for you? Again, there will absolutely be jokes, but who cares? The students will begin to talk seriously about how they prefer to learn, and by taking their suggestions you are giving them ownership.

In the end, I wanted to work with my students to set up the type of classroom in which they could learn and engage themselves best, and I didn’t think that I could achieve that by following the advice from the top of the page. I am definitely not saying that you shouldn’t have rules, or give up all of your control in the classroom. We know that’s not smart, but just know that there are ways to set up a collaborative, non-oppressive classroom without it becoming chaos.

Thanks to Dr. Butchart for the advice he gave me on this topic.

6 comments:

  1. Great insight from a beginning teacher. I always approach discipline in my classroom like I do with my kids at home. I let my students know that I love them and value them but because of this love I make rules to keep them safe and help them learn. They may not always like the rules but they respect them when they come from love. This doesn't always mean they follow them. That is where consequences come in. Keep the consequences fair and the kids will know you always love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot: "You have to wear a tie." I was told that one. :-)

    The interesting/frustrating thing for me is that many school and even system policies are predicated on a relationship that pits students against teachers (rather than students working together with teachers). Take a look at your professional development sessions and your teacher evaluation protocols, and consider the sort of teacher/student relationship that those things presume. Like I said, it's simultaneously interesting and fascinating.

    One other thing: in addition to working against policies that may encourage a more oppositional relationship, you're also working against many colleagues (and others) who believe that teachers and students SHOULD have an oppositional relationship. Take a step farther: you're even working against students who--after years of having very controlling teachers--have concluded that "real teaching" involves strict discipline and teacher-centeredness. When you suddenly give them a greater degree of freedom, they may not initially know what to make of it. Several years ago, I was teaching in a very traditional high school. Nonetheless, I told the seniors in my homeroom--17 and 18 year olds--that they could use the bathroom next door to our classroom during homeroom without first asking me. (I figured that they were responsible enough to take care of that sort of thing themselves. They were.) One day, a girl in homeroom asked me if she could use the bathroom, and then quickly corrected herself: "Oh, that's right. You don't care." That really cut me to the bone; it was precisely because I *did* care that I did not make them ask me for permission to take care of their needs. The student, though, did not see it as a recognition of her ability to make those decisions for herself. She just thought I was slacking. It wasn't that she didn't want a more collegial relationship with her teacher; she just had never had one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never tried to oppress our class. You treated us like the adults we truly wanted to be, and we respected you for it. You did what most teachers never try to do; you reached out and asked OUR opinion. In your classroom, we were truly able to express ourselves and yet still learn. Government has always interested me and your class only made me enjoy it more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im up there with George Darden, a Professor, Im assuming. Sorry for the lack of proper respect-- just not really positive.

    And believe it or not, I feel that teachers can learn things from their students. Obviously highschool students are not as educated as their teachers, but that does not pit them as less intelligent. Some of us have the ability to think deeply and some of the comments we can make may actually affect the teacher in some way. I think that is one of the key points in being a good teacher. VALUE the thoughts of the students. Dont just hear them, listen to them. Now in Social Studies this is all about opinions, but if this trickles over to a math teacher, they also have to admit to the fact that SOMETIMES a student does nto have to follow the exact guidelines from which they work a problem. Some kids can come up with innovative ways to work problems, that may be news to the instructor.

    But the typical student-teacher relationship is one of discord and disrespect. So, kudos for bringing this topic into everyone's thoughts.

    Oh, and I havent ever had you as a teacher, but you were a great tennis coach! I felt bad... all the other students complimented you in some way about your teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PV2 Sawyer Myers

    As a former student of Mr. Whitaker I can say that he handled his class like someone who has been there for a while given that most of us knew him before but that really didnt make a difference. He made friends with the class quick and class was never boring, we watched movies that had to deal with what we were studying and class work was just that class work everyone helped each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Candice DoerhoeferMay 2, 2010 at 10:09 PM

    I remember Dr. Butchart.. remind me to tell you an interesting story about him some day.
    - Candice

    ReplyDelete