Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Breaking in the Blog...

Hey, this will be a short first post. I just want to get the message out about what this blog will be about.

I am a teacher, and so far I love being one. There are things that education can do that are extraordinary, and I believe in them with all my heart. I believe that my professors and UGA's Social Studies Education program prepared me to become an educator who can change the way that students learn and live.

When you come out of a "progressive" (that word, I don't know why, sometimes seems to carry a negative undertone) education program like UGA's, I believe that you go into your first year as an idealist. And believe me, that is not a bad thing. However, many people will tell you that the things you learned in college can't be applied in an actual classroom, that it is not possible, worthwhile, or realistic. If my first year of teaching has proven anything to me it is this:

Being an "idealist" is a good thing, the things that you learn in your education program can and do work, and teaching "against the grain" is a difficult, but worthwhile journey. This blog will contain my thoughts on these exact issues, my journey as an educator, and hopefully some authentic discussions with those of you who take the time to read this.

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to sharing my ups, downs, trials, tribulations, successes, lesson plans, anything and everything with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment